Monument Underground station; District, Circle line. Exterior view of the station.
Photographed by WNT, 17 Mar 1982
Location: Monument, City of London EC4
Image no: 8207056
Inventory no: 2001/16528
20th Century London caption: First opened in 1884, the Monument station building was reconstructed in 1909. The Portland stone facing was intended to match the grand office buildings of the surrounding business district. This photo from 1982 shows the station as largely unchanged. It was completely transformed between 1988 and 1998 as part of a major modernisation programme for the Bank-Monument complex. The cost of the project was about £45 million. To the right of the station is a tobacconist. These kiosks were a common feature of London train stations from their earliest days. Smoking was not banned on the Underground until 1985.