© Transport for London
Collection of London Transport Museum
Zoom into image
West Ham Corporation tramways electric tram, number 102, 1910
Electric tramways were opened all over London in the early 1900s. This tramcar, number 102, was one of six built in 1910 for West Ham Corporation Tramways. It is a typical four-wheeled Edwardian tramcar with a covered upper deck but an open-ended balcony.
It was originally equipped for overhead current collection. It was later modified for conduit current collection to run over the London County Council lines between Stratford and Aldgate, but these modifications were later removed.
Entered service: 1910
Manufacturer: body, United Electric Car Co., Preston, 1910
Manufacturer: motors, General Electric Company, 1910
Manufacturer: controller, Westinghouse, 1910
Reference no: 1981/531 Part 0