Elmers End garage, features a view of two NS-type buses having their tanks filled with petrol by two men inside the garage. One of the buses is NS195 (reg.no XO 1043) serving on route 12a, destination board showing as Shepherds Bush. The other bus is NS137 (reg.no XO 1015).
Photographed by Topical Press, 1929
Location: Elmers End, Beckenham, Bromley, Kent
Image no: U5465
Inventory no: 1999/20514
20th Century London caption: By the 1920s, London General Omnibus Company (L.G.O.C.) had become the main bus service provider in London. Expansion resulted in the opening of new sites, such as the Elmers End garage. This photo was taken in 1929, the year the garage opened. In 1933, L.G.O.C. and the garage were taken over by the London Transport Group. The picture shows two N.S.-type buses having their tanks filled with petrol by two men inside the garage. 'General' is written in large letters on the side of each bus. The buses are closed-top double-deckers, which had been introduced in the late 20s. One has a destination board on the front showing Shepherds Bush, with the route number 12a above it.