Brompton Road Underground station, Piccadilly line. Station designed by architect Leslie Green. A prominent 'Piccadilly Tube' sign is displayed above the entrance .'This Shop to Let' notices are displayed on vacant retail units flanking the station entrance/exit ways. A 'This Superstructure To be Let' notice is displayed outside mezzanine level window.
Unknown photographer, Jul 1907 - Dec 1907
Location: Brompton Road, Westminster, SW3
Image no: Unknown
Inventory no: 2000/20842
20th Century London caption: Brompton Road station on the Piccadilly line had the red 'oxblood' terracotta blocks that distinguished stations designed in the Arts & Crafts classical style by architect Leslie Green. The Piccadilly line was financed by the American entrepreneur, Charles Tyson Yerkes. Brompton Road was opened in 1906 but was closed down on 29 July 1934 as it was thought uneconomical to run and too close to the reconstructed Knightsbridge and South Kensington stations. It was used during the Second World War for London's anti-aircraft control centre. The platforms were bricked up and the lift-shaft converted into four-storey offices. The remains of the station facade still exist in a side street off the Brompton Road.