View of a crossroads with tram tracks and a NS-type bus at Childs Hill, at the junction of Finchley Road and Cricklewood Lane, including The Castle public house.
Photographed by Topical Press, 25 Aug 1933
Location: Childs Hill, Barnet NW2
Image no: U12932
Inventory no: 2002/9834
20th Century London caption: This photo was taken from a window overlooking the junction of Finchley Road and Cricklewood Lane in 1933. On the corner on the left is the Castle pub. On the right is a Waitrose store. The Waitrose company was founded in Acton in 1904 by three men: David Taylor, Wallace Waite and Arthur Rose. By 1937 the company owned 10 shops and generated a turnover of £150,000. This small shop was typical of the company in the 1930s, although Waitrose had been granted a royal warrant by George V.