A close up shot of a narrowboat at grand junction canal, Brentford.
Unknown photographer, circa 1926
Image no: 92
Inventory no: 2005/2570
20th Century London caption: A woman in the hatch of a narrowboat talks to a man on the side of the canal. The woman is wearing a long skirt and a cap, a mixture of traditional and modern boaters' costume. The narrowboat has stopped at the Thames Locks at Brentford on the Grand Junction Canal. The boat belongs to the Birmingham-based Fellows, Morton & Clayton (F.M&C.), the largest carrying company on the canals from 1888 to around the 1930s. The boat, the Tividale, was first registered in 1926. The style of the sign-writing shows that it is an earlier version of the F.M&C. livery, suggesting that this photo was taken soon after 1926.