Interior of Earl's Court Station, looking westwards, and seen from a bridge which connects the platforms. Photograph shows glass ironwork structure of roof supported by horizontal iron beams, and walls with arched recesses which house advertising hoardings. The platforms have iron lamps with clear glass globes, on which the station's name is written. The station's name is also seen on boards hanging from the lampposts. A newsagent's stand can be seen on the platform on the right. Men wait on both platforms for trains, and 'ghosts' of a train and passengers are seen where they have moved during the photograph's exposure. A signal cabin is visible in the far distance, whilst semaphore signals are visible at the end of the westbound platform (on left).
Unknown photographer, 1878
Location: Earls Court, Kensington and Chelsea SW5
Image no: U13785
Inventory no: 1998/39546