A view of Millbank, as seen from Lambeth Bridge, c1905, just before the area was cleared by the London County Council.
Unknown photographer, circa 1905
Location: Millbank, Westminster, SW1
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1999/1562
20th Century London caption: The photo shows the industrial nature of Millbank on the northern bank of the Thames, next to the Houses of Parliament. In the middle is the London Hydraulic Power Company power station. This was later moved when the site was cleared by the London County Council. The company pumped water through a vast network of mains to shops, offices and industry. Water power was versatile and often cheaper than electricity. It was used to operate of lifts and cranes and power the revolving stages at the Coliseum and the London Palladium. However electricity, which was becoming increasingly available, eventually became more popular than hydraulic power.