Two Horse buses outside the George Hotel, Chesham, 1885, waiting to depart with the first omnibus service to Berkhamsted LNWR station (5 miles), for train connections to London and beyond. Prior to the opening of the Metropolitan Railway extension to Chesham in 1889, the George Hotel was a parcel receiving depot and posting station for the London and North Western Railway. The George Hotel has a history as a coach inn dating from the early 19th century. In 1823 there was a daily service (except Sunday) leaving the Inn every morning at 07.30 to the Bell Inn, Holborn, London. By 1854 the Chesham & Rickmansworth railway coach, via Chenies, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth and Watford was in operation. Linking the communities not served by railway with the LNWR train station at Watford (12 miles), the coach would leave the inn every morning (except Sunday) at 07.40, waiting at Watford to connect with the 17.30 evening train from London Euston station, arriving back in Chesham at 20.00.
Unknown photographer, 1856 - 1889
Location: High Street, Chesham, HP5
Inventory no: 1998/58077