LGOC (London General Omnibus Company) lorry bus registration number: LU8039, on service shortly after the First World War; rear view of the bus with a man boarding from steps.
Photographed by Topical Press, 1918 - 1920
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1998/85345
20th Century London caption: Lorry buses were used as a temporary measure to replace the 1,300 London buses that were taken to the Front during the First World War. Many of them were destroyed. About 180 vehicles were borrowed by the London General Omnibus Company from the War Department. Lorry buses had plank seats for 27 passengers, and an open frame that could be covered by a tarpaulin in wet weather. A staircase was attached to the lorries for access. The lorry buses were well used at first, but were uncomfortable to ride in. They were eventually taken out of service in January 1920.