A front aspect shot of Colindale Asylum. Shot taken looking up sweeping drive towards the Hospital.
Photographed by Topical Press , 19 Mar 1924
Image no: U2499
Inventory no: 2005/6747
20th Century London caption: This is the front aspect of the Colindale asylum in 1924: the main building photographed from its sweeping drive. This part of the hospital housed the offices, the nurses' quarters, the chapel and boardroom and had the kitchens at the back. This was a Central London District Sick Asylum, which was finished in 1900. When it was first built it took in tuberculosis (T.B.) patients as well as children with infectious and non-infectious conditions and casualty cases. Each of these groups was housed in a separate block connected to the main building by a corridor. Later, until the late 1950s, it specialised mainly in the treatment of T.B. The hospital was closed down in 1996.