Exterior view of Borough Underground station, Northern line. Shot was taken probably shortly after re-opening in 1925, one of the shop units incorporated into the building is not yet occupied. A newspaper seller stands to the left of the entrance, and there are several men walking past, though the road is clear.
Unknown photographer, 1925
Location: High Street, Borough, Southwark SE1
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1998/84388
20th Century London caption: A station at Borough was first built in 1890 by the City & South London Railway (C.&S.L.R.). The C.&S.L.R. became part of the Underground Group in 1913 and plans were made to enlarge the Tube tunnels to standard Underground size: 11' 8¼ " (just over 3.5 metres) wide. The project was shelved during the First World War but work began in 1922. The station re-opened in 1925. This picture was taken soon afterwards - before the tenants of the shop space to the left of the entrance had had time to move in. On the right is a tobacconist. Most stations at the time had a tobacconist shop or kiosk nearby.