York Road Underground station, Piccadilly line. Exterior view of the Leslie Green designed building on a corner site. A row of semi-circular window frames stand above the ground floor entrances and shopfronts. The building is clad in dark red ceramic tiles.
Unknown photographer, 1925
Location: York Road
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1998/83950
20th Century London caption: This building is the old York Road station in 1925. It opened in 1906 on the line between Kings Cross and Caledonian Road. The station was in a poor area and was something of an experiment: trains were still too expensive to be used regularly by the poor. By 1909 trains had begun passing through the station without stopping. More services were withdrawn during the First World War and, after the General Strike of 1926, the station was closed for four months. York Road was finally closed in 1932. It was used by London Underground as offices for a time, but later became derelict. It was restored in 1989.