View of The Smithy, Lawrence Street, Mill Hill.
Photographed by F H Stingemore, 1910 - 1920
Location: Mill Hill, Barnet, NW7
Image no: 1667
Inventory no: 2004/20364
20th Century London caption: This picture of the Smithy in Mill Hill was taken between 1910 and 1930. The forge was once the focus of every village, where the blacksmith mended pots and pans, shoed horses and made and mended agricultural equipment. Blacksmiths carried on until well into the 20th century. In these semi-rural areas horses were still used to draw carts or on the farms. By the 1920s the Mill Hill cinema had opened in Lawrence Street.