Hendon Central Underground station, Northern line. A crowd of people wait behind the closed entrance gates of the booking hall on 19 November 1923, the official opening day of the Golders Green - Hendon extension. Two women with children in prams, two staff and a policeman are standing inside in front of gates. Chessboard tiling in foreground.
Photographed by Topical Press, 19 Nov 1923
Location: Hendon Central, NW4
Image no: U2350
Inventory no: 1998/85108
20th Century London caption: This picture shows a crowd waiting behind closed gates at Hendon Central station. It was taken the day the station opened in 1923. Although this picture was probably staged, there was genuine excitement when new stations opened. During the 1920s, it often brought economic benefits for outlying parts of London. Commuter estates, shops and other amenities quickly followed the railway. Hendon flourished between the two world wars. It was in an industrial corridor that stretched west out of central London. The area became known for light engineering, including car and aircraft factories, and Hendon became internationally famous for its air displays.