Aldgate East Underground station; Metropolitan, District and Hammersmith & City lines. Exterior view of the High Street, south side entrance showing a brick baffle wall with sloping corrugated-iron roof erected to protect against bomb damage. A pole-mounted roundel is displayed at the right-hand end of the canopy. Several pedestrians can be seen, including a young man in naval uniform walking towards the camera, and, on the corner, a police officer. The building on the other side of the road appears to have suffered bomb damage.
Photographed by Topical Press, 11 Aug 1944
Location: Aldgate East, Tower Hamlets E1
Image no: U35981
Inventory no: 1998/53878
Your memories: The temporary wall referred to in this caption would more likely have been referred to during the war as a "blast wall" ........ Read more »
20th Century London caption: This is Whitechapel High Street. The south side entrance to Aldgate East Underground station is protected by a brick baffle wall with a sloping corrugated-iron roof. This wall was erected to protect the station entrance from bombs. This base of the wall is painted with white and black stripes so that it can be seen during the Blackout. There are several pedestrians, including a young man in naval uniform.