Packed LGOC (AEC) 3-ton lorry Bus (CS31) on service between Hampstead Heath and Pimlico
Photographed by Associated Equipment Company, 1919
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1998/71508
20th Century London caption: This packed 3-ton lorry bus is in service between Pimlico and Hampstead in 1919. A sign on the side gives its route: Prince of Wales Road, Euston Road and Oxford Street to Victoria station. Lorry buses were used as a temporary measure. They replaced the 1,300 buses that the London General Omnibus Company had sent to the Front for use in the war effort. About 180 vehicles were borrowed from the War Department. They had plank seats for 27 passengers and an open frame, which could be covered by a tarpaulin in wet weather. Thought they were well used initially, they were uncomfortable and were eventually taken out of service in January 1920.