British Museum Underground station, Central line. Exterior view of the surface building designed by architect Harry Bell Measures for the Central London Railway. A glazed entrance canopy displays the UndergrounD logo and station name. Underground poster frames flank the entrance. A lamp withn hexagonal 'Tiffany lamp shade hangs above the entrance. A man in uniform stands in front of the exit. A five storey office block occupied by The Beaver Board Co., Ltd. stands above the station. The British Museum station closed September 1933 when the new Holborn Underground station was opened. The surface level building was demolished in 1989.
Photographed by Topical Press, Aug 1921 - Oct 1921
Location: High Holborn, easter corner of Bloomsbury Court
Image no: U550
Inventory no: 1998/75375
20th Century London caption: This 1921 photo shows the old British Museum station in Bloomsbury. The station was opened by the Central London Railway (C.L.R.) in 1900 and was originally to be called Bloomsbury station. Because the museum was such a tourist attraction, the company changed its decision. For many years, it was suggested that new platforms could be built at Holborn station to remove the need for an interchange at the British Museum station. Work finally started on this plan in the 1930s. The reconstruction work at Holborn was completed in 1933 and the British Museum station closed. The surface level building was demolished in 1989.