Aldersgate Street station, Metropolitan line (re-named Aldersgate and Barbican in 1923, Barbican in 1968). Platform view taken at midnight, showing new electric lighting (installed by the Electric Generator and Lighting Company. August 1879). There are two electric lighting designs: a line of lampposts supporting spherical lamps run down the central island platform, supplemented by wall mounted lamps hanging above the side platforms. The glare of the electric light shines through the original roof-suspended gas-light lamps and reflects off the semi-glazed barrel roof structure.
Photographed by Henry Dixon, 22 Apr 1880
Location: Barbican Underground station, Aldersgate Street, City of London, EC1
Image no: Ukn
Inventory no: 1998/84029