Golders Green Underground station, Northern line. Station designed by architect Leslie Green. Image taken shortly after the station opened on 22 June 1907. A large poster 'Hampstead Tube now open' is displayed on the rear wall of the platform canopy wall.
Unknown photographer, Jul 1907 - Dec 1907
Location: North End Road, Golders Green, Barnet NW1
Image no: Unknown
Inventory no: 2000/23065
20th Century London caption: Golders Green Underground station opened on 22 June 1907 as the terminus of the Hampstead branch of the Charing Cross, Edgware and Hampstead Railway, that came to be known as the Northern line. This two storey flat-roofed brick built station has a very different design to other stations on this line. Golders Green had been open country before the coming of the Underground. Within 7 years a busy suburb had sprung up. This was part of what was known as 'Metro-Land', as London grew alongside the suburban tube lines. This image was taken before late 1908 when the distinctive Underground signage was introduced.