Aerial view of London Transport's Greenwich Power Station, with the river Thames in the immediate right foreground. A number of barges are drawn up on the river bank, whilst the landing stage, which is probably used for the delivery of coal, is also prominent. Some buses are parked by the station's boundary wall, midground left.
Photographed by Handford Ltd, 1974
Location: Greenwich Power Station, Greenwich, SE10
Image no: 62149P
Inventory no: 1998/51261
20th Century London caption: This aerial photo was taken over the London Transport power station at Greenwich. The power station had been built by London County Council to power its new electric tram system. It came under London Transport control in 1933 and was used to provide backup for the main generating station at Lots Road. In the bottom right corner of this photo, the edge of the River Thames can be seen. Greenwich power station had its own landing stage that was used for the delivery of coal by barge. In the 1960s, the station was converted to the oil-fired system of power generation and the landing stage was no longer used.