Chase Road, Southgate, at its junction with Bramley Road, at this time an area of open grass and woodland with no visible housing. A sign at the intersection announces that this is a proposed Underground station site on the Piccadilly Southgate extension, funded by the Development Act of 1929 for the relief of unemployment. Three names are suggested -Oakwood, Merryhills and East Barnet, with an invitation for locals to choose their preferred name (it was opened in 1933 as Enfield West, and later changed to Oakwood).
Photographed by Topical Press, 8 Sep 1930
Location: Chase Road, N14
Image no: U7218
Inventory no: 1998/77527