Site of Brent Underground station, Northern line Edgware extension. A signboard, supported on wooden legs, and reading 'Site of Brent Station Edgware Extension' stands foreground right. Coarse grass and a dirt track occupies the foreground. Minor construction work is in progress background left; apart from the few houses there, open fields with trees stretch to the horizon.
Photographed by Topical Press, 4 Sep 1922
Location: Brent, Barnet NW11
Image no: U961
Inventory no: 1998/76866
20th Century London caption: This is the site of Brent Underground station, Northern line Edgware extension, on what was then called the Hampstead line. The photograph was taken in September 1922, a year before the station opened on 19 November 1923. A signboard in the foreground explains the minor construction work in progress behind it. In the background are open fields and trees. The coming of the Underground changed this scene, making the area an easily commutable distance to the City and West End. This station was named Brent Cross from 1976 after the large shopping centre that opened nearby.