Photograph of a museum panel copied at Clapham Museum; LT Type Omnibus, London General Omnibus Co. The LT type was originally introduced in 1929 as an open-back 60-seater. After the first 150, the design was modified to closed platform, 56-seater. Experiments with oil engines and "self changing" (preselective) gearboxes began in 1930/1 on these vehicles. Later vehicles had light weight 60 seater bodies (known as "Bluebirds" because of the colour of the interior) and many were fitted with oil engines and/or pre selective gearboxes. The "Bluebirds" were the first to have the comprehensive route and destination display with front number in a "lighthouse" in the top roof. Ultimately there were 1227 buses of the various LT types and the majority were oil-engined after 1940. There was a single-deck version with 35 seats totalling 201 buses and a private-hire version (known as LTC) with 30 seats, totalling 24 coaches.
Unknown photographer, 1962 - 1974
Location: Lambeth SW4
Image no: 6999R/1
Inventory no: 1998/67578